About American Ordnance
At American Ordnance, we know the stakes and We do what we say! ® We’re the team working behind the scenes to make sure our nation’s front lines have safe, high-quality ammunition. As a trusted premier manufacturer of ammunition to the U.S. Military, some of our capabilities range from production of direct and indirect fire, warheads, to special projects and beyond. With more than 70 years of experience and Day & Zimmermann behind us, it’s no surprise that our teams consistently exceed expectations! Come join in on our purpose – We put people to work, we protect American freedoms, and we help our customers power and improve the world!
We’re looking for a full-time, staff Director of Production for future opportunity with American Ordnance located in Kingsport, TN. Our ability to offer this job is contingent on a contract award.
As the Director of Production, here’s the work you’ll do:
- Directs the manufacturing activities of all production lines of the business. Responsible for overall management and safely achieving Company and Government objectives at the lowest cost consistent with quality requirements. Drive key performance indicators across all areas of the manufacturing domain to ensure that all production commitments are delivered at cost objectives and on time to the highest quality standards. Balance workforce to reduce population fluctuation consistent with cost factors.
- Modernization of production current processes and insure that manufacturing talent is developed to be ready for next generation manufacturing technology. Benchmark and share best practices across DZMG to achieve "One Munitions" standards of Excellence.
- Drive implementation through employee engagement of Lean Business strategy and continuous improvement across all manufacturing related areas of the business and ensure lessons learned are enduring, tracked, spread across all of the manufacturing lines.
- Instills trust with internal and external key stakeholders, regarding technical support for activities, to achieve best in class manufacturing and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Ensure Health, Safety, and Environmental issues are prioritized and facilitated. Work with the Engineering, Safety, Environmental and Facilities departments to mitigate hazards.
This role is for you if you have these skills:
- Data-driven decision making; Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged and drive continuous improvement; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely, and difficult decisions when needed. Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns decisions with strategic goals. Sets high safety standards.
- Process improvement through proven methodologies, innovation and workforce engagement.
- Develops strategies to achieve operational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Visions future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operations management - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self and team against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Identifies and resolves problems with a sense of urgency; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
And if you have these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management or Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. Master’s (MBA) degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years with at least 8 years in leadership and operations management roles, preferably in chemical plant operations.
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing processes, i.e. Six Sigma, Kaizen, True Lean
- Experience in US Government contracting; extensive knowledge of ammunition/chemical products
- Great attitude and team player
- Successful completion of background screening process
We care about our employees and it shows. Our staff receive a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical/Rx, dental and vision coverage; life, AD&D and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 100% paid maternity leave for up to 12 weeks, parental leave, family leave, other paid time off; voluntary benefits and discount programs to meet our employees’ individual needs including pet insurance for our furry family members!
To ensure a safe work environment while meeting the physical demands of the job, you must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks, with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Lifting motion or lifting objects more than 15 pounds
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Pushing or pulling (e.g. using a part of your body to press against something in a downward or outward direction or in a dragging or hauling motion)
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Climbing (e.g. ascending/descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, pole, etc. using feet and legs and hands/arms to climb)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
- Expertise in:
- Ability to wear a mask, respirator, bullet proof vest, or other equipment.
- Ability to regularly perform all job functions at Company’s office or worksite.
- Ability to withstand environmental conditions (e.g. extreme heat or cold, grass, wind, sand, fumes, odors, gases, extreme noise, etc.)
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? APPLY NOW! Talent Acquisition Partner: Andrea McLeod
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance, A Day & Zimmermann Company is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over a century of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.
Location/Region: Kingsport, Tennessee